Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Bonus: Download This

Just some amazing music you should try out, if you haven't heard it already:

Albums

Josh Rouse, 1972. I've been on an alt-country kick for awhile now, and this is probably the best, except for the actual best...
Download: "James"

The Jayhawks, Rainy Day Music. J'adore this album. If you don't like this album, you're dead. Gorgeous melodies.
Download: "Stumbling through the Dark"

Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine. This album didn't get nearly enough press. It wasn't some sort of comeback. It's a great album.
Download: "Better Version of Me"

Iron & Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days. I'm a little reluctant to recommend this album. It is very, very quiet. It has moments of bliss.
Download: "Naked As We Came"

Susan Tedeschi, The Best of Susan Tedeschi. I had sort of heard of her before, but not really. Then I heard her cover of "Tired of My Tears," and I was really impressed.
Download: "Rock Me Right"

Death Cab for Cutie, The Photo Album. Yeah, that band from the O.C. They are really good; this is my favorite of many good albums.
Download: "Styrofoam Plates"

The Killers, Hot Fuss. I know, they sound like something your niece listens to. They should -- it's great rock & roll music. Listen to the lyrics -- this isn't just your standard teenage band.
Download: "Somebody Told Me"

Singles:

"Crazy," Gnarls Barkley. This has made it to the U.S. by now, right? So cool.

"Heartbeats," Jose Gonzalez. Saw the YouTube video, loved the song, album's dull as dirt.

"I Love You 'Cause I Have To," Dogs Die in Hot Cars. Just because you need a reminder of that bitter mix tape you made in the early 90s.

"Landed," Ben Folds. Didn't like the album, obsessed with the single.

"Feel Good Inc.," Gorillaz. Even if you don't like hip-hop.

"Chicago," Sufjan Stevens. His albums are so... meandery. I can't fall for them. But this is a great one.

"July, July!" The Decemberists. Their album is why I have a ban on Irish movies -- dour, dark, dull. This was the bright light.

and of course....

"Amsterdam," Guster. I promise I liked this song before I came here. But it's great. So is "Careful." Can't quite get into the albums.


Please post your own recommendation in the comments... I love discovering new music.

7 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger amy said...

if you are into alt-country right now, I have to recommend Neko Case. I just became obsessed within the past two weeks and am now absolutely in love with the albums I bought (Blacklisted and Fox Confessor Brings the Flood). Try: Margaret vs. Pauline, Things That Scare Me, and Hold On, Hold On.

PS. That mix CD I brought you Mem Day that my sister made? With Bees (song #2) is by Neko Case, if you ripped that.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend that Magic Numbers if you're into alt-country right now. It's the kind of music I would feel comfortable buying for my family back in Ohio.

But my favorite band right now is Irving. They just put out their second album and it's starting to get a little airtime on indie music stations. Kinda has a 60's pop vibe.

I'm terrible at describing music. I just know what I like.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! The entire Gnarls Barkley album is excellent--you should get the whole thing, if you haven't already. To hear one more song, and for a bizarre and compelling web experence, check out the website: www.gnarlsbarkley.com

Love this blog, by the way--I was directed here via "Frolic and Detour" (on whose author I have a girl-crush), and as usual, she is right.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Mike said...

OK... Irving & Magic Numbers have been added to my wish list! Your wish is my command.

Sorry Katie -- I haven't liked the other Gnarls Barkley songs. I'm not a huge hip-hop fan, to be honest, although some songs are very catchy.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Mike said...

My latest mis CD has, in fact, "Ballad of Bitter Honey" and "Fontenelle."

I really must meet this MS person.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Mike said...

PS. Amazon informs me that "Your Favorite Music" is ALREADY on my wish list.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Those are mighty big promises! I look forward to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home