Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stamppot


In our continuing series on Weird Local Foods, I present you with stamppot, the traditional Dutch peasant dish. A local guy absolutely insisted that I try it, and it was the least I could do. Even though it was nearly five euros at the grocery store, which is ridiculous.

Stamppot and I did not get along. Stamppot is really just a big mushy pile of potatoes and kale. It's yuckiness was enhanced by its very unfortunate plating, which I suppose is my fault. The meatballs were so bad, I couldn't tell if they were turkey or beef, because beef here often tastes very off. I got through about half of it before I had to bail.

I got a double serving of sorbet that night.

5 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering---what is the reaction to Tom Boonen abandoning the tour? Yeah, I know he's Belgian. What is coverage of the Tour de France like there? Is it all over the place? Like Basketball, Football, and Baseball is here? Or can you avoid it if you choose?

Thanks!

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh MikE! That dish looks absolutely delicious! Did you get my email? I just googled your name and here you are! Enjoy the Netheralnds! I love reading your webpage!
Good luck finding an ear doctor;)

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Kris said...

At least it didn't have eyes, like half of what comes to us on our plates here in VN...

:)

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Tour de france... yes, it is on TV for 4 or 5 hours a day on four different channels. NONE of which are in English. Without commentary, people biking is really boring.

The ear doctor is coming...

 
At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of bikes, i could use a nice bike ride right about now. I had a dream that i was attacked by a dgerman shefer and he was large. Then i saw a bike, hoppped on and i was off off away from this crazed lunu dogs. It belonged from my neighbor's best friend who works with the criminally insane. Does that make sense? The World of Heatherism. That's all i can say. THat was the beginning of my downfall. She really turned me into a defferent person. Now i can do things i should be proud off. Like your tours. I 'd be riding and get chased by a yelping taco bell dog or something stupid like that..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home